Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week #21

Well, let's start with the miracle of the week. Saturday our Branch President, President Azua, called us and asked if Hermana Falcon and I would be willing to speak in sacrament meeting. We were each assigned to talk for 15 minutes on the topic of Studying the Scriptures. I of course said "Yes"  because I've been taught that you don't say no to your church leaders... but I was secretly freaking out inside. Fifteen minutes!??! That's a long time to talk in front of people in English, let alone in a foreign language. And especially because we had lessons planned all day and things to do! So, I really only had the hour of personal study the next morning to prepare. I spent as much time as I could preparing and making sure that I had enough material to fill up all of the time. I had a quotes and scriptures picked out, but I wasn't sure how I was going to make everything flow (especially with my Spanish!) haha We had 12 investigators at sacrament meeting (another miracle!) and I really wanted to share something for each one personally that would help them. And I don't even know how, but it went really well. I'm sure that my Spanish wasn't perfect, but I really wasn't struggling for words. I filled the time up easily and didn't even get to everything I had wanted to say. I know it was God helping me out... because I don't even know what happened once I got up there. I just started talking and then looked over at the clock and realized that it was time to close. It was a really neat experience.

I got a sore throat at the beginning of last week and was really worried that I was getting sick. It's been a little bit of a tough week because I haven't felt completely at the top of my game, but at the same time I wasn't ever sick enough that I couldn't go out and do everything I was supposed to. And now I'm feeling better. But we worked really hard this week (and the heat is definitely taking a toll on me!); so I'm definitely looking forward to a nap later today :] 

While we were in the VC on Saturday morning two men walked in. I said, "Hi" and introduced myself to them, and asked what had brought them to the Visitors' Center. It was one of the most incredible experiences I have had thus far there at the VC. One of the men was a recent convert of 18 months. He's really embraced the gospel and told me all the changes that he made in his life once he found the church. He is a cab driver here in Mesa. He usually doesn't work on Saturdays but felt like he should. So he went and the first call he got was from someone named Lamar. When he got to the house, a large, African American man came out and told him "You can't take him." He said that he would usually just leave and pick up the next call that came in, but something told him that he needed to stay and that someone needed his help. So he stayed and he saw Lamar walk out. He asked him how old he was. Lamar's uncle (the man standing outside of the house) said that it didn't matter how old he was, he couldn't take him. Lamar answered and said that he was 23. So the cab driver said that he is older than 18, he can chose for himself what he wanted to do. So Lamar left his uncle's house, taking all of his things with him. I don't know how exactly, but apparently his uncle has been holding him hostage. The cab driver talked to him for a while and then they came straight over to the Visitors' Center. I was able to talk to him a lot about our Savior, Jesus Christ, and it was such a sweet experience. We got a new art exhibit in about two weeks ago called Witnesses of Christ by Liz Lemon Swindle and at the very end there is a picture of Jesus Christ holding an African baby. (The artist was in Africa when she painted the picture.) The picture is really unique and honestly doesn't really flow with all of the other pictures. But when Lamar saw it he just started crying. And felt that that picture was there to help him. It was awesome. He gave me his phone number and I'm going to continue teaching him until he is settled somewhere where the missionaries in his area can come teach him.

We had two new investigators this week, a 60-year old man, Lupe and his 11-year old daughter, Dulce. He's had a lot of contact with the church (family members and friends) and they've even been to church numerous times. It's just the two of them living together. All of Dulce's siblings (well half siblings--different dads) are in foster care. (I'm not sure what exactly happened with the mom). Lupe talked to us about how he has brought many, many young girlfriends here to the apartment. He just talked about a lot of things that I can't believe anyone would say in front of their 11 year-old daughter. It was just breaking my heart. But Dulce is the sweetest little girl ever. She said a prayer at the end of our lesson yesterday that completely melted my heart. She thanked God for bringing these "wonderful Hermanas to her house." She is adorable and I really hope that her dad embraces this... for her sake. They both have a baptismal date for July 7th. I just want to help her so much.

Last night we had a noche de hogar with a family that we've been teaching for a while. They all have a baptismal date for next Saturday (the 23nd) but at this point only the dad is really ready. They have two teenagers, that are usually pretty nice to us... but really haven't shown too much interest. But the family home evening was like better than I ever would have expected it would go. At first when we started they were grudgingly coming and outwardly expressing their disinterest in listening to us talk about the importance of families. (aren't teenagers lovely :] Mom and Dad-- I'm sorry. haha.) They wouldn't answer any of the questions we were asking. It was pretty obvious they would rather be doing anything else. But we talked about showing love for those in our family. And had each of them write things that they liked about every person in the family and then stick it in an envelope for that person (if that makes sense). And even though they pretended like they didn't care, they all did it and all had a good time with it. And I know they'll look at them later and it will mean a lot. I know that it is hard for people to show their feeling to people sometimes--but it is important. Then we played a game where you pick a sheet of paper that has the name of an animal on it and you have to act like that animal out without sounds and everyone else guesses it. It was a blast. Everyone loved it; and I would bet that family has never had fun together like that before. I wanted to cry just watching them. It was awesome. Then of course we topped it off with some cookies :]

It's been a wonderful, successful week. I'm loving being here (even though each day when I think it can't get hotter... it does!). I'm loving being  Hermana Falcon's companion. I'm learning a lot. She, like Hermana McKee was, is a trainer in the Visitor's Center (there's only two... but somehow both of my companions have been! haha) It's like a Zone Leader for the Sisters in the VC. It takes time away from our area on top of the time we already spend in the VC. But I got an email from President Ellsworth at the beginning of this transfer. All it said was that as I support her in her calling, Hermana Falcon and I will see miracles this transfer together. And I'm already seeing that happen. 

Love you all,
Hermana Larson



No comments:

Post a Comment