Dear Everyone!
 
Well this week has been tough... but those are the weeks that I feel myself learning and progressing. It has been really tough to have members in our lessons. I know that is how our investigators will progress--by getting them involved in the branch! But I feel like I spent hours and hours and hours on the phone trying to contact members asking them to help us. It's proving difficult with now 4 missionaries in such a small branch. I hate bothering the members--I know they are so busy with families and working alll the time. Us being on bikes makes it even harder because most of the women that are home during the day can't drive. That being said we worked really hard to have members in all of our lessons... and we had multiple multiple multiple lessons where we had members but the investigators weren't there. We tried visiting others but it just didn't work out. Which is okay. I'm learning to deal with my stress levels. Finding the balance between healthy stress (that helps you be productive) and unhealthy stress (which just freaks my companion out :/ ) is something I've never been good at. But I'm trying to figure it out. I'm also trying to figure out how we can help our investigators to keep their commitments (like our appointments!). We tried teaching a lot to our purpose as missionaries this past week and will continue doing that as we teach towards baptism and our role in helping people make covenants with God.
 
On a good note: we set an awesome baptism date! With Lupita. She's had a hard time quiting coffee... but she's been 3 days clean! And when we set the date... for the first time she was excited about it--instead of us trying to convince her that she is ready. It's for October 17th. I'm excited about it and hope that she will be able to stay strong without coffee :] The lesson beforehand we had talked about her not drinking coffee. We had made a "plan" with her... but she ended up not following it :[ And we really tried talking with her--trying to figure out what will help her. Sister Sanchez talked about how it's so easy for us to say it--just stop and that maybe we don't understand how hard it is, but that Jesus Christ does know and he can help her. As I heard that I felt the spirit prompt me and tell me that we need to at least try to understand her. So we made a deal with Lupita that for the next week as she stops drinking coffee that we will stop eating candy and desserts. When Sister Sanchez heard that come out of my mouth she just looked at me and said WHAT?? haha. But we are doing it. I obviously didn't think about that very well as it is the week of Halloween... but maybe God's trying to help me and Lupita at the sameee time by committing me to not eat sweets! haha.
 
Saturday was a busy day! We woke up early early. It was the Mesa City "day of service." The church is always very involved in it. They had a big stake breakfast and afterwards we when and cleans streets and canals and alleys. It was fun. We were also given City of Mesa shirts that say "I love Mesa" on the back! Love it! And then later that night was the branch halloween activity. Well actually... so as to not offend those that don't want to celebrate Halloween it was called "la fiesta de la cosecha." Which is like party of the harvest! haha. But it was fun to be there and see all the kids with their costumes. We had some investigators there which was good. We also enjoyed watching other people eat candy and we couldn't. haha. But Lupita was there to see us resist all the candy so maybe that was a good thing! haha.
 
This morning Sister Sanchez and I got up early to go hiking with some of the people in our zone! It was really fun... but I realized that since the last time I went hiking (MAY) that I have seriously gotten out of shape! But it was good to get out there and sweat a bit and feel good!
 
Well I hope that everyone has a great week! And a happy halloween! Apparently church headquarters is worried about missionaries safety on halloween night--so we have to be in our houses by 6pm. We'll probably do some studies or something. But maybe we'll try doing something fun. I'm glad we live with two other sisters! Should make it more fun.
 
Love,
Hermana Larson